Saturday, December 3, 2011

I'm dreaming of a geeky Xmas

Black Friday and Cyber Monday has come and gone and the team and I kicked ass... We kicked major ass. All that work over the past 11 months paid off over that single week of retail Hell and our systems just simply kicked ass...

But now, it is time for all the vacation that I didn't take during the year while prepping for the few busiest days of the year. I am taking off the entire month of December (and still rolling 40 hours of vacation into next year!)

What to do with all this time?

On CyberMonday O'Reilly had a 60% off sale on books and videos so I decided to purchase a few videos to get up to speed in some technologies that I haven't fiddled around with.

Over December I hope to go over the following videos:

An Introduction to MapReduce with Pete Warden
Erlang by Example with Cesarini and Thompson
Hilary Mason: An Introduction to Machine Learning with Web Data

I've had a very brief introduction to Machine Learning during a GDAT class with Dr. Gunther and found it very interesting and something that could be cool for automated monitoring of systems to determine when something is going astray.

Also I plan on covering some Haskell learnings with the Channel9 lecture series on the subject of Haskell and functional programming. I've done a little bit of FP with R and it is time to wrap my head around FP more with Haskell and Erlang.

The current plan on the Haskell front is to gather with fellow Geeks at the Addison, TX location of Thoughtworks for Geeknight to watch the Channel9 videos and learn the ways of FP first hand.

I'm sure that good times will ensue!

No comments:

Post a Comment